Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
The Wilson County Board of Education will hold its regular monthly meeting at 7:30 p.m. Monday at 113 NE Tarboro St. NE.
Action items include consideration of how Wilson County Schools will handle the upcoming North Carolina Association of Educators teacher rally scheduled for May 1 in Raleigh.
Last year, participation was so widespread among teachers in all counties that the school board elected to hold a teacher work day without students because of anticipated absenteeism among teachers. This year, the school district is confronted with the same challenge.
Wake County Public Schools, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and the school districts in Durham, Guilford and Forsyth counties have already canceled classes May 1, according to media reports.
Other action items include:
• 2019-20 local current expense and capital outlay budgets
• Community Eligibility Provision program in Wilson County Schools
• Title I school eligibility
• Spanish immersion program
• Second reading on 15 draft policies including selection of educational resources, school improvement plan, removal of students during the day, surveys of students, schools and the community, parents organizations, emergency Epinephrine auto-injector devices, automated external defibrillator, gifts and bequests,information provided by applicant or employee, employee health certificate, communicable diseases, substitute teachers, assignments/reassignments/transfers, and workday and overtime.
Informational items include:
• Draft WCS/Wilson Community College early college memorandum of understanding
• Draft WCS/WCC Career and College Promise memorandum of understanding
• USDA Rural Development Distance Learning and Telecommunications grant
• Principals completing Distinguished Leadership in Practice Program
•Fike High School culinary program
• Prospective teacher internship program
• Signs for Wilson Area School-Based Health Clinic at Beddingfield High School
• Community Eligibility Provision program at Wilson County Schools