Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing to The Wilson Times.
Incorporated in 1887 on the Wilson-Fayetteville Railroad. Its first mayor was Nathan Boyette and it has always borne his surname by local usage.
In 1907 Roscoe G. Briggs bought Wiley W. Farmer’s Mill on Toisnot Swamp, and in 1922 he deeded it to the Wilson County Milling and Mercantile Co., who renamed it and developed it into a popular recreation place for this area. The lake covers 175 acres and has a maximum depth of 12 feet. The property is now under lease by the Wilson Wild Life Association and is used principally for fishing, boating and swimming.
Named for Robert Simms. By 1787 a shipping point on the south bank of Contentnea Creek somewhere between Cobb’s Landing and the present Stantonsburg.
Named for W.W. Simms. Post office established in 1908. Chartered in 1913. On Route 264 10 miles W. of Wilson and the Norfolk and Southern Railroad. Population in 1940 — 173, in 1950 — 209, and in 1960 — 205.
An artificial pond formed by B.G. Fields in 1925 and named for Spit Head in his native England. The present owner is W.D. Adams Sr., and it is used privately for fishing, swimming, boating and irrigation. It is situated 6 miles S.E. of Wilson, covers 5 acres and has a maximum depth of 10 feet.
Begins 1 3/4 miles N.W. of Lucama and flows southeasterly across the railroad into Lee Swamp 3/4 mile before the latter joins Black Creek.
Township named for a local hill that was notable years ago for a fine spring flowing from it. Population in 1940 — 3,048, in 1950 — 2,866, and in 1960 — 2,372.
Location south of Contentnea Creek from which Springhill Township took its name.
STAGE COACH ROAD
The Old Stage Coach Road from Tarboro to Raleigh passed by Temperance Hall, Upper Town Creek Church, Batts’s Crossroads, Cobb’s Crossroads on the present U.S. 301, and left Wilson County a little north, north of Mount Zion Methodist Church.
Township named for the town. Population in 1940 — 2,123, in 1950 — 2,050, and in 1960 — 1,939.
Named for James Stanton, its first mayor and is the oldest town in Wilson County. Incorporated four times: 1817, 1835, 1873 and 1909. Post offices established and operated 1830-40, 1870, 1877-96 and 1901 to date. Population in 1940 — 595, in 1950 — 627, and in 1960 — 897. Altitude 92 feet. Ten miles S.E. of Wilson on Contentnea Creek and the Norfolk and Southern Railroad. In antebellum days, a center of export-import trade.
By 1789 over Contentnea Creek just south of Stanton’s Meeting House by 1811 and Stantonsburg (1817) on the old road to Fremont. Named for James Stanton. Post office here in 1816.
Begins in the N.E. edge of Stantonsburg, crosses the Norfolk and Southern Railroad and the Snow Hill Highway, enters Contentnea Creek S.E. of Stanton’s Bridge about a mile as the crow flies and about 2 miles by water.
Existing in 1826, probably just N. of the influence of Goff’s Swamp into Toisnot Swamp.
Named for Godfrey Stott. Just E. of Marsh Swamp on N.C. Route 42 about 8 miles W. of Wilson. Population 40.
Named for Manuel Sullivant. Site on Mill Branch about a mile N. of Contentnea Creek and 1 1/4 miles E. of the Johnston County line.
Community on Route 264 about midway between Wilson and Saratoga. Post office there 1898-1905. Population about 50.
Community 3 miles N. of Rock Ridge, 10 miles W. of Wilson, and about midway between Bullock’s School and Stott’s Crossroads. Post office established 1892, moved 5 miles E. of Connor Post Office in 1895, back at the first location in 1898, and discontinued in 1902.
An old antebellum path that still exists only as a path. It begins on the paved road from Route 42 to Sun, about halfway between Bear Branch and the Fork of Buck Branch, and wanders northeasterly into Route 42 about 1 1/2 miles east of Buck (Horn) Branch.
Site established by Enos Tartix more than 150 years ago on Bear Branch shortly before it enters Toisnot Swamp 2 miles N. of Taylor W. of Sun (Taylor’s Post Office): a community named for J.M. Taylor and now known as Rock Ridge. Post office maintained here 1882-1914.
Township situated in north-central part of the county and township/named for the local Taylor family. Population in 1940 — 1,729, in 1950 — 1,985 and in 1960 — 1,827.
Dr. J.M. Taylor appears to have acquired the premises on Contentnea Creek in 1859. In 1882, before he sold out and moved to Texas, Dr. Taylor of Taylor’s Post Office advertised his mill for ginning cotton and grinding cornmeal and flour. Now known as Flower’s Mill.
Site of Toisnot Baptist Church 1759-1802 and of the colonial graveyard used by the Thomas family until about 1900. Situated 3 1/2 miles E. of the county courthouse and now the home of Wilson County historian Hugh B. Johnston, Jr., it represents the oldest unbroken line (since 1747) of family ownership in Wilson County.
Probably named for Ichabod Thomas, Esq. Built in 1808 on Toisnot Swamp, for the new road that still runs between Evansdale and Saratoga.
Hugh Johnston was a Wilson County historian who wrote these historical capsules that previously appeared in The Wilson Daily Times. They are reprinted from a volume of his “Looking Backward” series of books available at the Wilson County Public Library.