Warriors, Firebirds delayed in 2nd inning

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing to The Wilson Times.

Varsity baseball teams from Hunt High and Southern Nash will have to wait an extra day to determine who will draw No. 2 seed Northern Nash in the semifinals of the 2016 3-A Big East Conference tournament.

Monday’s scheduled quarterfinal at Sid Boyette Field reached the bottom of the second inning before the home-plate umpire spotted lightning behind the fence in center field, prompting at least a 30-minute delay. During that time, heavy rain forced a suspension of play until 7 p.m. Tuesday. When resumption occurs, No. 6 seed Southern Nash (10-14) will own a 4-2 lead over No. 3 Hunt (12-12) with a 1-2, one-out count to senior Jacob Williamson.

After falling behind 4-0 in the top of the second, Hunt will attempt to draw even with juniors Bryson Worrell and Connor Griffin stationed on second and third, respectively. Prior to the suspension, Worrell launched a two-run double to right field to cut the Firebirds’ lead in half.

Southern Nash built its lead with one run in the first and three more in the second. Freshman Jason Montague’s single scored sophomore Trevor Mills in the first inning for the game’s first run. In the top of the second, the Firebirds parlayed three walks into three runs. Mills’ single up the middle made it 2-0, and with two outs, sophomore Hunter Perry sent a two-run single into center field for a 4-0 Southern advantage.

Both starting pitchers, Hunt junior Parker Garris and Southern Nash sophomore Leroy Edwards, struggled in satisfying the strike zone requirements of the home-plate umpire. Each handed out three walks, with Edwards getting a warning after his subtle reaction to a second-inning miss. Garris was lifted for senior Joel Taylor once he worked SN’s Ryan Marlowe to a 2-0 count in the top of the second.

jlewis@wilsontimes.com | 265-7807 | Twitter: @JimmyLewisWT