Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing to The Wilson Times.
“Building a Stronger Community Together” is the slogan for the United Way’s campaign of 2017. As a volunteer, it is an honor to ask for your support for the United Way of Wilson County. The campaign is currently underway.
Our local 15 partner and 10 designation-only agencies are making a tremendous impact throughout the community. Donations represent the caring power of the United Way’s dedicated donors and volunteers. Such commitment advances the common good within our community and makes Wilson stronger each and every day.
Here is just some of what has happened within the last 12 months because of your support:
• The Arc hosted special needs children at Camp Sunshine.
• The American Red Cross provided shelter to victims of house fires and operated blood drives throughout Wilson.
• The Wilson Crisis Center called homebound and senior citizens daily and answered phone calls for help with a caring human voice.
• The Wesley Shelter provided a safe haven for battered and abused women and their children.
• The Meals on Wheels program at the Wilson County Office of Senior Citizens Affairs delivered meals to elderly and ill, thus ensuring that not only food, but also healing human contact was available.
• The SPOT, St John Community Development Corp. Save-a-Youth and the Salvation Army’s Boys and Girls Club provided supervised after-school care and recreational opportunities for young people and teens, allowing their parents to pursue full time work.
• Hope Station sheltered and fed the homeless.
These examples are just the tip of the iceberg. Wilson is a wonderful place to live, work and enjoy good people, and I count myself as fortunate to have had the opportunity to raise my family here. I have been blessed with many doors opened to me over the years and want to help others to “open doors” to have a better quality of life for themselves and their families.
You can do this by contributing to and supporting the United Way of Wilson. Please consider donating to the United Way to help those in need. You can do that by making a donation now. For additional information on making a contribution or volunteering, please call 252-237-3194.
Your contribution to the United Way can make a difference and help us in “Building a Stronger Community Together.” I ask this in God’s name and with appreciation.