Richard Elwood Barnes

Posted 8/8/18

ROCKY MOUNT — Richard “Dicky” Elwood Barnes, 65, died Monday, Aug. 6, 2018, at his home.

Dicky was born in Wilson. He was preceded in death by his parents, Jarvis Elwood Barnes and Ruby …

Sign up to keep reading — IT'S FREE!

In an effort to improve our website and enhance our local coverage, WilsonTimes.com has switched to a membership model. Fill out the form below to create a free account. Once you're logged in, you can continue using the site as normal. You should remain logged in on your computer or device as long as you don’t clear your browser history/cookies.

Richard Elwood Barnes

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.


ROCKY MOUNT — Richard “Dicky” Elwood Barnes, 65, died Monday, Aug. 6, 2018, at his home.

Dicky was born in Wilson. He was preceded in death by his parents, Jarvis Elwood Barnes and Ruby Durham Butts Barnes; and sister, Bettie Lee Barnes Batts.

Dicky struggled with various medical issues starting when he was just 2 years old. His was a life of continuous challenge, yet he never complained and he never lost his desire to make a success of himself. Dicky touched many lives with his determination to live and was not discouraged by his many health problems. He always had a smile and a positive attitude and always had a kind word for everyone. He fought so many battles and was a symbol of courage and inspiration to everyone who knew him. Dicky accepted Jesus Christ as his personal savior in 1971 and later was baptized in Sharpsburg Baptist Church; through these acts of faith in Jesus, and by the grace of God, he is now in heaven with his parents, his sister and his beloved, Sassy. Dicky loved working on engines and especially anything by Ford. His interest in cars began early as a teen when he loved helping his uncle, Garland Barnes, work on his racecar. This love of engines led him into his career as a diesel mechanic and after 38 years, he retired from Trinity Industries. His last project was rebuilding his engine for his 1965 F100. He was not able to complete that rebuild, but thanks to the staff at Hand F Performance and Dicky’s friend Earl, his truck was completed and Dicky got to see and hear it and even took a short ride in it. Dicky referred to it as the truck with “a little bit of a rumble.”

His other loves were fishing, cooking and gardening. He grew up near Elm City on a farm and loved seeing things grow. Dicky loved cooking and was great at it. His mother was a good cook and Dicky learned to make homemade biscuits almost as good as hers. He loved visiting his grandfather, Clayton Barnes, working on the farm in the summers and going fishing with him at Swan Quarter.

Dicky is survived by his wife of 35 years, Sheryll Pope Barnes; his three brothers, James T. Butts Jr., and his wife, Bonnie, of Oxford, Robert B. Butts, and his wife, Sheila, of Philipsburg, Montana, and John R. Butts, and his wife, Bernie, of Melbourne, Florida; sister, Linda Barnes Mangum of Black Creek; and many nieces, nephews, grand-nieces and grand-nephews.

A visitation will be held 1 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 9, at Cornerstone Funeral Home, followed by a celebration of Dicky’s Life at 2 p.m. in the chapel .The graveside service will follow at Black Creek Cemetery, Black Creek.

In lieu of flowers, please consider making a gift in Dicky’s name to Friends of Hospice, Nash Health Care Hospice, 2460 Curtis Ellis Drive, Rocky Mount, NC 27804 or Kenny Davis Ministries, 6214 Moore Road, Nashville, NC 27856.

The family would like to thank Dr. William Bynum and Dr. Michael Holland of Rocky Mount for all their care over the last 28 years helping Dicky and Sheryll with the many facets of kidney disease. In addition, we want to thank Dr. Stephen Smith of Durham, who monitored Dicky for 27 years with his kidney disease and successful kidney transplant. In addition, special thanks to the blessed anonymous donor and the donor family for donating his/her kidney in 1993.

The family would also like to thank Dr. John Huffman, Delta and Oncology staff for their kindness and support with Dicky’s battle with Light Chain Deposition Disease and later with cancer. In addition, the family would like to thank Nash Health Care Hospice, especially Latisha, Sabrina and Keith.

In addition, Sheryll would like to thank Dicky’s family, extended family, friends and employers for their support over the years during Dicky’s multiple health problems. Thanks to the churches, especially The Church of the Good Shepherd and Sharpsburg Baptist Church, for all their support and many meals during sicknesses. Thanks to all the health care staff who have made a difference in Dicky’s and Sheryll’s lives. And thanks to the special nurse who was at Dicky’s bedside in 1972 who he referred to as an angel when he woke up after surgery.

King James Bible, Psalm 107:1 “O give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good: for His mercy endureth forever.”

Arrangements are entrusted to Cornerstone Funeral Home, Nashville.