WILSON’S LOCAL PRINT AND DIGITAL COMMUNITY INSTITUTION SINCE 1896

Resident treated for minor burns

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.

Posted

A Wilson resident was treated for minor burn injuries Wednesday following a residential fire.

Wilson Fire/Rescue personnel responded shortly after 12:30 a.m. to a fire at 807 Woodrow St. and reported finding a backyard blaze spread to the porch of the house.

Crews were able to extinguish it and the occupant was treated at the scene by Wilson EMS.

“The fire started in a trash can up against the back of the home and the cause was undetermined after the investigation,” reports stated.

Firefighters also responded to two incidents Tuesday night.

The first happened around 6:53 p.m. when residents reported smoke coming from the office at Crescent Gardens apartment complex on the 1600 block of Kincaid Avenue.

“Upon arrival, crews found a small fire in the mulch beside the building that had extended to the building via a piece of trim molding,” reports stated.

Officials believe the fire was caused by an improperly extinguished cigarette.

Around 9 p.m., crews responded to a structure fire on the 400 block of Kenan Street.

Firefighters found a small kitchen fire caused by unattended cooking and were able to contain it to the room. No one was injured.

“Company members educated the occupants on ways to prevent and extinguish kitchen fires,” the report states.

Visit tinyurl.com/ybwqb836 for more information from the National Fire Protection Association about cooking fires, which are the number one cause of home fires and injuries.

Officials said unattended cooking is the most prevalent cause of cooking fires, too.

Comments