WILSON’S LOCAL PRINT AND DIGITAL COMMUNITY INSTITUTION SINCE 1896

Police: Teens, 6-year-old stole handguns in Dunham's break-in

Posted 7/18/19

Authorities have recovered 10 stolen handguns and identified three teenagers and a 6-year-old boy as those responsible for the theft.

Wilson police responded to an alarm at Dunham’s Sports on …

Sign up to keep reading — IT'S FREE!

In an effort to improve our website and enhance our local coverage, WilsonTimes.com has switched to a membership model. Fill out the form below to create a free account. Once you're logged in, you can continue using the site as normal.

Police: Teens, 6-year-old stole handguns in Dunham's break-in

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.

Posted

Authorities have recovered 10 stolen handguns and identified three teenagers and a 6-year-old boy as those responsible for the theft.

Wilson police responded to an alarm at Dunham’s Sports on Raleigh Road Parkway at 2:15 a.m. Tuesday. Officers found the inner and outer doors broken and 10 handguns stolen.

The Wilson Police Department’s Problem-Oriented Response Team and Criminal Investigation Division worked with federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents to investigate the break-in.

On Wednesday, authorities identified a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado from the surveillance footage and determined the truck had been stolen from a parking lot on the 3700 block of Ward Boulevard. Police recovered the empty truck in a field near Snowden and Birchwood drives in southeastern Wilson.

“As a result of the investigative efforts, all of the firearms that were stolen from Dunham’s were located and recovered,” police said in a news release. “Four juveniles were identified in this investigation: a 16-year-old, two 14-year-olds and a 6-year-old.”

The eldest suspect was charged with breaking and entering, larceny after breaking and entering, larceny of a firearm, larceny of a motor vehicle and four counts of breaking and entering a motor vehicle. He was held under a $100,000 secured bond.

The two 14-year-old boys were charged as juveniles with the same offenses. Authorities are conferring with prosecutors and juvenile justice officials regarding the 6-year-old suspect.

Since January, the Wilson police gang unit has seized 78 firearms. Authorities said many of the guns were seized from gang members and violent offenders.

“Citizens can help in this effort by securing their firearms and removing their guns from vehicles,” the police department news release states. “Offenders often break into unlocked cars at night in residential neighborhoods to look for unsecured firearms.”

Comments