Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
• Amelia Gallina of Spring Hope has received a scholarship award from Local Government Federal Credit Union.
Gallina will use the scholarship to study at Appalachian State University and is one of 120 high school seniors and postsecondary students receiving educational awards from LGFCU, according to a credit union news release.
The LGFCU scholarships recognize students’ high achievement in extracurricular activities as well as academic excellence by their having maintained a grade point average of 3.0 or higher. For more information or to apply, call 919.755.0534 or visit www.lgfcu.org.
• Vanessa Ward, a Nashville native majoring in biology at Fayetteville State University, has been awarded a $2,000 scholarship from Networth of Fayetteville.
Networth, an organization of professional and executive women in the Fayetteville community, awards scholarships to students attending FSU, Fayetteville Technical Community College and Methodist University. Criteria includes financial need, high scholastic ability, goals for a professional career and community involvement, according to a news release.
• Erin Binkley of Nashville was named to the spring semester 2019 dean’s list at the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York. Binkley is in the American sign language-English interpretation program, according to the institute.
• Kaitlyn Baker of Sharpsburg has been named to the spring 2019 dean’s list at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama. She is majoring in journalism and mass communication.
• Ted Whitehurst, president and CEO of Rocky Mount-based Providence Bank, has been named to the North Carolina Bankers Association’s board of directors for the 2019-20 term. The NCBA is a trade group representing bankers and financial services firms.
• Corey Boles of Rocky Mount has earned a doctorate in occupational and environmental health from the University of Iowa. He was among more than 4,800 undergraduate, graduate and professional students to participate in May graduation exercises.
• MeHegan Bond Fenner of Rocky Mount graduated with a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Mississippi during its 166th commencement on May 11, according to a release from the school.
• Justen Williams of Rocky Mount has graduated from Becker College of Worcester, Massachusetts, with a bachelor’s degree in interactive media design with a concentration in computer game design, the college has announced.
• John Hall C. Thorp of Rocky Mount graduated from Clemson University with a bachelor’s degree in management.
• David Thomas Griffin of Rocky Mount was named to the University of Alabama’s dean’s list for the spring 2019 semester, the university in Tuscaloosa, Alabama announced.
• Zachary R. Seaman of Rocky Mount has been named to the president’s list at Clemson University for the spring 2019 semester. Seaman is majoring in electrical engineering.
• Ellen Hicks of Rocky Mount was named to the spring 2019 dean’s list at Emory & Henry College in Emory, Virginia.
• Jacqueline Routhier of Rocky Mount has been named to the spring 2019 dean’s list at Slippery Rock University in Pennsylvania.
• Austin Todd Matthews of Rocky Mount was named to Mars Hill University’s honor roll for the spring 2019 semester.
PEOPLE YOU KNOW includes brief news announcements about people with local ties. Share information by emailing email@example.com with “People You Know” in the subject line.