WILSON’S LOCAL PRINT AND DIGITAL COMMUNITY INSTITUTION SINCE 1896

Heroic cat alerts sleeping owner to fire hazard

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.

Posted

Remember my letter about adopting Baby the cat from the Brentwood Veterinary Center? (“Adopted cat’s love is a treasured blessing,” July 22)

Besides the joy she gives this old lady — I’m 82 — she may have saved my life and my son’s life last week and also saved our house from a fire.

As I said before, Baby had been sleeping beside me. But this night she woke me up by putting her paw in my face. It was about 1:10 a.m. “What is going on?” I thought. She was looking over toward my dresser.

I looked over too and saw that the warm vaporizer had overheated. The water was so hot that the plastic bowl had split and water was spraying out. The unit on top had malfunctioned and was red hot.

I unplugged the cord immediately. If not for Baby, who knows what would have happened?

Comments