Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
ZEBULON — Authorities have identified a southern Nash County woman who died in a Tuesday house fire.
Belinda Coble, 61, died in an explosion caused by her smoking a cigarette while using an oxygen tank.
Coble lived on Crowned Court, which has a Zebulon address and is in Nash County about halfway between Middlesex and Zebulon.
The Nash County Sheriff’s Office, Nash County EMS and the Middlesex Fire Department responded to a house fire call around 8 a.m., said sheriff’s Capt. Eddie Moore.
Coble, who used an oxygen tank for medical issues, was smoking a cigarette that ignited the oxygen tank, causing a small explosion and fire that killed her, Moore said.
“The husband, who was asleep in another room, awoke to the sound of the smoke detector going off,” Moore said. “He went and was able to extinguish the small fire that had started with a fire extinguisher causing minimal property damage.”
The husband dialed 911 and notified authorities upon discovering his wife deceased, Moore said.