Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
The Daughters of the American Revolution’s Thomas Hadley Chapter has announced the winners of its annual Youth Citizenship Awards.
Each year, Wilson’s DAR chapter partners with public and private elementary schools in Wilson County to present awards to fifth-graders who demonstrate the qualities of honor, service, courage, leadership and patriotism.
“The DAR believes education for our youth in American citizenship is of supreme importance,” Frances Humphrey of the Thomas Hadley Chapter wrote in the winners’ announcement.
Staff members at each school select the recipients and present the awards during yearly awards day ceremonies.
Youth Citizenship Award-winners for 2018 are:
• Olivia Ryan Carter, Community Christian School
• Samantha Lynn Mallol, Wilson Christian Academy
• Linwood Vick, Greenfield School
• Brianna Marie Simons, Vinson-Bynum Elementary
• Gema Cortez-Urieta, Rock Ridge Elementary
• Ruth Moran-Velazquez, Vick Elementary
• Sebastian Arreola, Jones Elementary
• Quinton Price, Hearne Elementary
• Christie Summerlin, Wells Elementary
• Isabel Baza, Lee Woodard Elementary
• Zoey Snyder, Lucama Elementary
• Yashaswi Saini, New Hope Elementary
• Sydney Nicole Barnes, Stantonsburg Elementary
• Johntez Zymere Lucas, Gardners Elementary
• Emma Townsend Satterfield, Elm City Elementary
• Andrew Nathan Lucas, Barnes Elementary
• Alaysia Williams, Winstead Elementary